Why Milk Thistle is important for Alcohol Drinkers
Milk Thistle is an herbal supplement that detoxifies & protects vital liver functions and more. Milk thistle also contains properties shown to offer the body antioxidant benefits. Milk thistle has been used for over 2,000 years as a liver tonic. Milk thistle’s name is derived from the milky white fluid that comes from the plant’s leaves when they are crushed. Naturally, you will find the plant in southern Europe, southern Russia, Asia Minor, and North Africa, but has been adopted to grow in North and South America. Currently, Milk Thistle is a popular supplement for people who drink. Also, it is a commonly you will find milk thistle hangover supplements along with Cysteine & B Vitamins.
The plant’s remedial capabilities have been known since ancient times. Milk Thistle was mentioned as far back as the 4th century B.C. It’s documentation in medicine goes back to the 1700’s for use in the treatment of liver health and disorders of the bile duct and spleen. Today, milk thistle is one number one recommended natural herb for liver health and one of the most commonly used medicinal plants. Actually, Milk Thistle is a prescribed medication in Europe.
Some of the Liver-Related Reasons Milk Thistle is Used
- Alcoholic cirrhosis
- Hepatitis and other liver related diseases
- Drug and alcohol induced liver damage
- Fatty liver & nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Fibrosis and Cirrhosis
- Treat mushroom poisoning
- Hepatic toxicity caused by steroid usage
- Support healthy liver health
- Regular moderate-to-heavy alcohol use
Other Milk Thistle Claims Not Related to the Liver
- Lowers cholesterol levels, which benefits the heart
- Reduces the growth of cancer cells in breast, lung, colon, prostate, cervical and renal cancers
- Functions as a therapeutic agent for the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease
- Improves blood sugar levels (which is good for alcohol drinkers)
- Contains numerous anti-aging properties
- Supplements sunscreen protection and may be useful against multiple types of skin disease
- Works as a free radical scavenger and powerful antioxidant
- Helps with intestinal / indigestion issues
- 5 Reasons You are Hungover & How to Prevent Hangovers
What Makes Milk Thistle Work?
Milk thistle seeds contain a bioflavonoid complex known as Silymarin which is the active ingredient. The purified extract of the fruit is what is used in supplements. Studies have looked at the effect of milk thistle on toxic liver damage (mostly alcohol-related) and many other uses. It is concluded that milk thistle is a very useful medicinal plant product that stabilizes the cell membrane and stimulates protein synthesis while accelerating the process of regeneration in damaged liver tissue. Like Whiskey? Read 8 Facts About Whiskey.
Other studies show that milk thistle may protect the cells of the liver by blocking the entrance of harmful toxins and helping remove these toxins from liver cells. Like many flavonoids, milk thistle is a potent antioxidant which works to maintain health and energy by protecting the body from damage caused by free radicals and lipid peroxidation, which can injure healthy cells and tissues.
What are the Side Effects of Milk Thistle?
Fortunately, milk thistle has a gentle nature. Many other supplements and herbal remedies bring side effects such as headaches, virtually all parts of the milk thistle plant have been used with no reports of toxicity. Adverse effects in clinical and lab studies related specifically to the seed extract (silymarin) are also virtually nonexistent, although it may have a mild and short-lived laxative effect for some people. Milk thistle can be used safely and effectively by a wide range of people, including pregnant and nursing women but check with your doctor about taking milk thistle if you are pregnant.
Conclusion: Milk Thistle Hangover, Alcohol & You
If you drink, you should consider milk thistle. Like mentioned before, milk thistle is a common ingredient in hangover wellness supplements along with Cysteine & B Vitamins. One supplement to check out is Happy Hour Vitamins, a multivitamin formulated for people who drink.
Happy Hour Vitamins Facts
- Contain liver supporting ingredients
- Help detox the body and prevent hangovers
- Loaded with B Vitamins to balance deficiencies related to drinking
- Backed by 100% Money Back Guarantee
- Works! 4.6 Stars on Amazon
- Offers Samples to Try!
Long story short, this is a Multivitamin for the Drinking Population. Check out Happy Hour Vitamins on Amazon.